The $356 million Shepparton Line Upgrade will be delivered in three stages.
Stage one, which is now complete, included:
- stabling upgrade at Shepparton Station
- 29 extra coach services between Shepparton and Seymour to connect with train services.
Stage two includes:
- platform extensions at Mooroopna, Murchison East and Nagambie stations
- crossing loop extension near Murchison East
- upgrades to 59 level crossings between Donnybrook and Shepparton
- new stabling to house VLocity trains.
Stage three includes:
- signalling and track upgrades to enable trains to travel at up to 130km/h
- funding for a business case to finalise the scope and costs for delivering nine return services a day between Shepparton and Melbourne.
An additional $10 million funding has been provided for a separate planning project for the Shepparton freight network.
Further down the line, Donnybrook and Wallan stations will also be upgraded to improve access and amenities for passengers in these growing communities.